Strain gauge– 2 Day course
This training course combines theoretical knowledge and practical skills required in strain gauging applications, providing technicians and engineersadvice on strain gauge selection, wiring and analysis to achieve the best possible results for their specific applications. It also can be customized to suit the needs of your organizational schedules.
– Strain Gauge Basics
|Gauge factor||Material applications||Lead wire|
|Gauge selection||Strain direction||Poisson’s ratio|
|Resistance||Size, Shape, Pattern||Self-heating|
– Strain Gauge Application (includes practical exercise)
|Surface preparation||Protective coating||Checklist|
– Wiring techniques & error correction
|1/4 Wheatstone bridge||Lead wire compensation|
|Full Wheatstone bridge||Error identification & Correction|
|2/3/4 Lead wire connection||Trouble-shooting|
— Coffey Information
More training programmes on request.
Useful Reference Downloads:
|Coefficients of Thermal Expansion||Material/Coefficient Reference Table|
|Modulus of Elasticity||Young Modulus for Some Common Materials|
|Resistance Wire||Properties of Major Alloys|
|Included in Course Material||– TML Strain Gauge User’s Guide, Tokyo Sokki Kenkyujo Co, Tokyo
– TML Strain Gauge Performance Characteristics, Tokyo Sokki Kenkyujo Co, Tokyo
|Textbooks||– Window, A & Holister, G (1984).Strain Gauge Technology, Bedford UK:Applied Science Pub.
– Dally, J & Riley, W (1978). Experimental Stress Analysis, NY:McGraw-Hill.
– (2009) Code of Practice for the Installation of Electrical Resistance Strain Gauges, Bedford UK: Brit.Soc’s for Strain Measurement [http://www.bssm.org/default.asp?p=152][viewed on 23/09/2013]
|Specific Technical Notes||– La Var (2005) Shunt Calibration for Dummies. Western Regional Strain Gage Committees; Summer Conference
– Strain Rosettes for Strain Measurement, [www.efunda.com][viewed on 23/09/2013]
– Chau, F.W (Jul. 1987) Effect of Transverse Sensitivity of Strain Gauge. Experimental Techniques, Vol 11
– Stein, P.K. (Jan/Feb 2009) Back to Basics; Self Compensation. Experimental Techniques
– Ueda, K & Ueda, A (1998) Dynamic Response of Strain Gauges Up To 300kHz.Experimental Mechanics, Vol 38, Issue 2
– Bartel, F & Yaniv, S (1997) Creep & Creep Recovery Response of Load Cells……J.Res.Natl.Inst.Technol, Vol 102, No.3